Question by abcd1234lol: What can a psychologist do aside from therapy?
First of all im Mexican, so here things might be a little different on the professional practice of psychology, so i'm gonna give you some examples before i get to my question, if you wanna skip 'em it's ok. Again, im Mexican so im sorry for my awful english.
Well i know a few psychologists and one psychiatrist:
Two psychologists at elementary school, which i used to see often because i used to get into trouble a lot. I ran some tests for IQ and stuff and i remember not knowing what the hell was going on but "oh what ever, there are toys around, i skip class and all i have to do is play some weird games on sheets so...". I got kicked from that school for my aggressive behaviour a little after that (i used to bully kids, i admit it) and got into a public school, there, instead of sending me with some therapist, I remember my teacher slapping my ass really hard. Dunno but it really worked, i stopped being a jerk after that.
Three at high school which are my teachers, one does therapy at her place, the other does some bio energetics yoga related-weird stuff (guess it's another kind of therapy) and the other, well shes just a teacher.
And the psychiatrist which my mom used to see when i was on junior high because of her divorce, which happened 12 years before that, I didn't really get the point of it, but w/e. They let me stay on a session because i was curious, I though she was gonna start crying at some point or something, but it was just some random chat, when we got out i was all like "I want a job like that, getting paid for chatting seems cool".
Okay, that's all the experience i've had with psychology and therapies, maybe it's poor and I lack a lot of details but my question is this:
Is that really what psychology is about? like, chatting with people call it a "therapy" and get paid for nothing? Kind of like tricking people (or to be more specific, crying babies)
Where's the science in that?
I was thinking on studying psychology 'cause i was interested on the brain/mind/behaviour relation and research. Maybe it's because im not into it yet but i don't really believe in therapies and don't want to "get paid for chatting" anymore.
So should i just pick something else? Can i be a scientist if i study psychology?
Are those "therapies" in any way "science"? if so, can you explain how?
Thank you.
Best answer:
I don't believe in it, it is a crock!
On this subject, I would like to show you something. I love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1g3ENYxg9k
Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in Chennai
Article by Radek Isner
Orignal From: What can a psychologist do aside from therapy?
No comments:
Post a Comment